Versailles

Discussion in '-off topic-' started by colorsofromance, May 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Phantom Pabulum -member- -member-

    Phantom Pabulum
    Joined: 03 Apr 2008
    Posts: 734
    Posted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:12 pm

    Nocturne wrote:
    :| I never did say it was another genre/style of music. If you're an indie band playing rock music your genre is rock. You just sound like you could have better production.

    @Geisha Moi dix Mois seems to have a decent fanbase in Europe, and I think Versailles could target the dark culture with their vampire-y aesthetics and such.

    I understand your point though. Over here bands like the Gazette and Alice nine are big stuff. If you mention you listen to vis kei - those are almost a given. I've never met another MdM fan in person over here. In singapore.
     
  2. Elec -member- -member-

    Elec
    Joined: 08 Aug 2004
    Posts: 3598
    Location: Earth's Last Greatest Superhero
    Posted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:13 pm

    Dir en grey, An Cafe, Alice Nine, Gazette, Miyavi? All those bands' styles are wildly different. Sounds like the variety is there, and it's just missing, well, someone Versailles-like. And that just comes down to a matter of taste, I suppose. I'm not sure how well-attended the European shows with Matenrou Opera were, but I know they have more European stuff planned so I can't imagine that demand is terribly low.

    And I've seen bands go major on the strength of much less, so I'm not too worried in the end. :)
     
  3. Kyuketsuki -dead scape- dead scape

    Kyuketsuki
    Joined: 27 Sep 2005
    Posts: 4429
    Location: 5 paces behind Seth with a pair of scissors....
    Posted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:54 pm

    I think the point overall is that they've gotten themselves a springboard from which to jump from, and so they're jumping into the bigger market. For better or worse, this is what they're trying, and in a way it's a lot like Malice Mizer- listening to their earlier stuff, who would have thought a major record company would take them on with stolen lyrics from mariah cary and lines snatched from the interview with a vampire movie used in their songs? ::meev:: At least Versailles isn't that bad- they're no malice mizer, but with a major record label budget, they'll certainly have more toys to play with, and that alone is worth seeing, in my opinion, what they'll do with that and how they'll approach that change.
     
  4. Lem -member- -member-

    Lem
    Joined: 20 Jan 2005
    Posts: 1928
    Posted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 12:46 am

    Jasmine's hair will become bigger, better and stronger!!
     
  5. Elec -member- -member-

    Elec
    Joined: 08 Aug 2004
    Posts: 3598
    Location: Earth's Last Greatest Superhero
    Posted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 1:51 am

    Lem wrote:
    this
     
  6. Geisha -member- -member-

    Geisha
    Joined: 05 Aug 2004
    Posts: 2215
    Location: In midnight ruins...
    Posted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 12:27 am

    Rock/nu metal/punk mix on the one hand and pop rock on the other isn't what I would call variety, especially when that's all people want to hear.

    Like I said, they were not very well attended, apart from Paris. Many people both in Europe and in Japan still believe in the Jrock hype though and that they can build a larger audience over time, so they keep trying, but in reality usually the opposite is true.

    You could be right there, but there's a lot of prejudice against Jrock in the dark scene and Moi dix Mois are having a hard time because of that. Being on a major label isn't going to work in Versailles' favour there.
     
  7. Einherjer -member- -member-

    Einherjer
    Joined: 15 Dec 2004
    Posts: 1773
    Posted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 12:28 am

    D: I haven't listened to any versailles since lyrical sympathy (which I really liked).

    what do you guys recommend to check out next?
     
  8. Kyuketsuki -dead scape- dead scape

    Kyuketsuki
    Joined: 27 Sep 2005
    Posts: 4429
    Location: 5 paces behind Seth with a pair of scissors....
    Posted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 1:13 am

    Geisha wrote:
    What a terribly biased statement. :| You have the right to dislike a band for whatever reason, but whatever your personal opinions on the matter are do not automatically constitute an overall world-wide view on the matter. I'm sure your definition of "variety" would be equally as inane as you think this one is- however, for the sake of argument, care to share it?
     
  9. Wandering_Fox -current- -current-

    Wandering_Fox
    Joined: 15 Dec 2004
    Posts: 3263
    Location: Sitting in the Cookie Chair
    Posted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 2:12 am

    I tried listening to the Resonant Choir video on Youtube. I love power metal and am a huge fan of all sorts of heavy metal all over the world, but I felt there was something really missing from it and the band and the song just didn't click with me.. Is there a better song I should listen to to judge them? That song really didn't do anything for me, unfortunately ^^;
     
  10. Monophobia -member- -member-

    Monophobia
    Joined: 04 Aug 2004
    Posts: 1681
    Location: Canada
    Posted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 2:28 am

    Wandering_Fox wrote:
    It's actually The Revenant Choir, but you should definately check out their other stuff! I'm still not a big fan of that song, but I love almost everything else they've done. Seems many don't like their Noble album, but I think it's really good. I personally recommend Antique In The Future, zombie, windress, The Love From a Dead Orchestra, Sympathia, and Princess. (last three aren't from Noble, though)
     
  11. Phantom Pabulum -member- -member-

    Phantom Pabulum
    Joined: 03 Apr 2008
    Posts: 734
    Posted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 7:13 am

    Kyuketsuki wrote:
    I'm not sure, but I think that Geisha finds that all those genres generally appeal to a single audience. In my opinion, I find it that way too, that most of the time people who like DeG would listen to gazette, etc.

    @Monophobia Princess is the worst :( I think you should try the Red Carpet day or Shout & bites if you like catchy stuff. Personally I love the revenant choir though.
     
  12. Berserk -member- -member-

    Berserk
    Joined: 13 Apr 2006
    Posts: 2383
    Location: Michigan
    Posted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 11:00 am

    The bands elec listed have nuanced differences despite some of them being part of related musical styles, which certainly is variety. Geisha doesn't relate to the genres that these bands belong to as a whole, though, so she can't be expected to examine the more detailed differences between them and find satisfaction in the variety that's there.

    Maybe?
     
  13. Garnet in the Eden -member- -member-

    Garnet in the Eden
    Joined: 23 Mar 2007
    Posts: 3985
    Posted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 5:43 pm

    Berserk wrote:
    I don't think that was her point at all. In Europe definitely those who are fans of Gazette are probably going to be fans of Miyavi too, it's that kind of thing, they lump them together (even if their styles are different). It's these kinds of bands/artists that people at least in Europe want to see, pretty boys with guitars.

    edit: Wow, what happened to my English? XDD
     
  14. Lardeen -member- -member-

    Lardeen
    Joined: 21 Apr 2006
    Posts: 2437
    Location: Dead Scape
    Posted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 6:21 pm

    Lem, I hope you're wrong about the bigger and stronger DDD= XD

    Garnet in the Eden wrote:
    Sad fact. At least for a big bunch of people.

    Here it is quite normal that someone who visits Dir en grey, to also visit Gazette, An Cafe or Alice Nine for example.
    Comparing Dir en grey and An Cafe there are differences musically seen and not too small ones. But it is OMG JAPANESE BAND.
    Of course not everyone is that way, but the amount of those people isn't too small I think.

    Phantom Pabulum wrote:
    I am not too sure about that. Present Versailles to a Gothic audience and I am not sure how they would react.
    Especially because of what Geisha already mentioned. J-Rock is highly prejudiced there.

    I assume you talk of the Gothic culture when saying "dark culture"? Because if you count in the metalheads...that's another thing again.
     
  15. Berserk -member- -member-

    Berserk
    Joined: 13 Apr 2006
    Posts: 2383
    Location: Michigan
    Posted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 10:29 pm

    Garnet in the Eden wrote:
    I'm not trying to get to the crux of what her post literally said, I'm trying to reach some sort of mutual understanding because I think the two different camps are talking in completely different terms.
     
  16. Phantom Pabulum -member- -member-

    Phantom Pabulum
    Joined: 03 Apr 2008
    Posts: 734
    Posted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:24 am

    Lardeen wrote:
    Moi dix Mois headlined WGT 2006 and it was a success, from reports I've read, so I think there's some hope. I never knew that Jrock was prejudiced, although I can see why =/

    And yeah, I'm talking generally about a gothic audience - but I had the impression some metal subgenres like gothic metal / symphonic metal would appeal to goths as much as it would to a certain portion of metalheads.
     
  17. Lardeen -member- -member-

    Lardeen
    Joined: 21 Apr 2006
    Posts: 2437
    Location: Dead Scape
    Posted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:19 pm

    Phantom Pabulum wrote:
    Moi dix Mois is another thing than Versailles already. Moi dix Mois carry a Gothic imagine, while Versailles are more colourful, Baroque style. I would say that Moi dix Mois are more welcome than Versailles. Also because Versailles declare their music as Visual Kei, Mana Moi dix Mois as Gothic Metal (or at least not Visual Kei).
    But as I said: I am not sure how the audience would react. I am sure they would win some fans, but I am not sure what the majority would think and how well Versailles would be received.

    Oh, I didn't mean it that way. Surely Metal can also appeal to a Gothic audience! And Gothic Metal also to a part of the metal audience.
    I meant that Versailles won't appeal to a pure metal audience.
    Place Versailles in front of a Amon Amarth fan crowd for example and...yeah.
    The majority of metalheads seems to be male (though there are females too of course!) and somehow metal is something "manly". (Manly issue -> pic)
    If I would show a picture of Versailles to any metal friend of mine...that wouldn't exactly be a good idea.
    My personal experience is that metal bands don't really care about how they look. Black pants and a black shirt will do. Washing the hair and the beard in the morning too. And if they care that means corpse paint or being spiked up like no idea what. Not elegant make up and princessy dresses.
    Even if they should like the music (what I partly doubt, mainly because of Kamijo's voice), Versailles' look would turn them off.
     
  18. Manneking -member- -member-

    Manneking
    Joined: 21 Dec 2008
    Posts: 965
    Location: UK
    Posted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 4:08 pm

    Lardeen wrote:
    Yes, My friends are put off by the Visual-Kei image, although the Gothic Image is something they find a bit more... relatable, for lack of a better term. Even though Versailles are quite a heavy band. However, I honestly don't know know what would happen if they played to an audience like at Wave-Gotik-Treffen...
     
  19. Lem -member- -member-

    Lem
    Joined: 20 Jan 2005
    Posts: 1928
    Posted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 4:26 pm

    Lardeen you should of used an image of Manowar for your example of macho manly metal! (hahahaha!)

    Hopefully I don't derail too much.

    Most of my friends are metalheads and from my experience with friends and people I have met online or at shows. They are very set on what they like and don't like. While many don't care what the band looks like I think many of them would care if it was band dressed like Versailles. Metal seems to be a very macho manly thing for some guys. If you mention Emo (which at least here VK is usually quickly associated with it) they're quick to spout "That's gay!" or something along those lines and want nothing to do with it. I really don't see Versailles appealing to the majority of metal fans and the biggest thing will simply be because of their image imo.

    Not everyone is the same though. A few of my 'metal head' friends listen to Versailles. They don't care for their appearance and more interested in CD releases then the latest master piece that is Jasmine's hair.

    Then like Lardeen says, Kamijo's voice maybe a turn off. Yet I think this depends on the fan and what type of metal they like. I can see a fan of Power Metal liking Kamijo's voice but a fan of say Children of Bodom or Death not so much. One interesting story involving Versailles and a drunken 2am run across town with my metal head friends. My friend Jerad popped in Versailles and put it on The Chaos Inside. In the back of the van my friends started jumping around and head banging, throwing in their own death growls and lyrics. The moment Kamijo started singing they all stopped. My friend and I laughed but a clear example of Kamijo's voice being a big turn off for some.
     
  20. Phantom Pabulum -member- -member-

    Phantom Pabulum
    Joined: 03 Apr 2008
    Posts: 734
    Posted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 6:11 am

    That's a nice story Lem.

    I wouldn't think a heavy metal audience would relate well to Versailles as well - since "flower power" metal and other genres are already discriminated.

    Hail! ::k::
     
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.