Why is Gackt hated in America?

Discussion in '-main-' started by Bisento Miseru, Oct 31, 2021.

  1. Bisento Miseru -member- -member-

    Bisento Miseru
    Joined: 19 Jul 2019
    Posts: 16
    Posted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 5:52 am

    I saw how his face was smeared and called a clown ... because he said something, I didn't understand. Do you know something about this?[​IMG]
     
    #1
  2. Cantavanda -member- -member-

    Cantavanda
    Joined: 08 Jan 2017
    Posts: 256
    Location: Cool Epic Land
    Posted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 6:14 am

    A lot of people feel like he betrayed MALICE MIZER by leaving them behind and going solo, to chase more fame, and not caring about his band.
    The truth however... is not really known. I've never found a reputable and clear source that explained the exact reason why he left the band. It really might be that he left them behind to persue more fame as many people say, but it might also be something else, another reason, there's a ton of rumors floating around, but I haven't found solid truth.

    Another reason is because of a long period where he posted "cringy", or humiliating content on his social media accounts. Or because in a lot of TV shows, his way of talking radiated an aura of a huge ego.

    Another reason is that he seems to want to erase his history with MALICE MIZER, and only focus on his solo activities. It appears he feels a bit ashamed of his time in MALICE MIZER, and doesn't talk much about it. The definitive proof of this is that he didn't want to perform for MM's 25th anniversary. In a recent interview with an American YouTuber, he made jokes about MALICE MIZER that a lot of fans took as serious hate, fueling their anti-Gackt campaign even more.

    So with all of this in mind: Leaving MM, cringy posts, ego, erasing history, jokes about his past... is that enough to hate him? I don't think so. He's a very cool and talented dude in my opinion, just a flawed dude! But everyone is flawed. The hate is understandable, I understand where it comes from, but it's not completely justified.

    Yea, I love to make fun of him, but deep down I really care about him, and I'm sure many people think like that. I hope his health will improve in the future, that he'll be able to perform again.



    For me, the worst about Gackt, and the thing that really matters the most; Is the quality of his music, albums, songs, etc...

    I love his "Mizérable" mini-album, his first full album "MARS", and the very soothing album "Love Letter", but in my opinion, a lot of his other music is very average, sometimes bland, so not that interesting. But all of his other songs still have their qualities of course! That's why he's one of the best selling Japanese artists. They speak to a lot of people.

    I find the extreme Gackt hate on social media quite cringy.

    [​IMG]
     
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2021
    #2
  3. sanctum -member- -member-

    sanctum
    Joined: 10 Mar 2005
    Posts: 1695
    Posted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 7:08 am

    I don't think Gackt has any form of celebrity in America. :p

    Anyway, the dude was only in Malice for like what, 3 years? Which at this point is basically a foot note in his musical career.

    Silly meme-y photos are basically just Z-grade celebrity gossip trash. Dudes are better off going and doing something more productive.
     
    #3
  4. Bisento Miseru -member- -member-

    Bisento Miseru
    Joined: 19 Jul 2019
    Posts: 16
    Posted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 11:06 am

    Cantavanda wrote:
    could you please give me a link to the interview?
     
    #4
  5. Cantavanda -member- -member-

    Cantavanda
    Joined: 08 Jan 2017
    Posts: 256
    Location: Cool Epic Land
    Posted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 12:20 pm

    Bisento Miseru wrote:


    Here you go!

    I remember seeing a lot of angry reactions on FaceBook when this released.
     
    #5
  6. flowersofnight -moderator- -moderator-

    flowersofnight
    Joined: 04 Aug 2004
    Posts: 13020
    Location: Vintage Live House, 1994
    Posted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 12:36 pm

    The part where he said everyone in Malice Mizer (all 7 of them) died was pretty funny, actually :lol: So was his parody of Mana's cooking videos.

    That aside, everything we've seen of his personal and professional undertakings can be summed up by that delightful turn of phrase, sagimagai. He's just an unsavory guy.
     
    MorganIvy likes this.
    #6
  7. faith -tea party- -tea party-

    faith
    Joined: 05 Aug 2004
    Posts: 5227
    Posted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 6:26 pm

    Oh yeah, remember someone specifically came back to the forum after a decade or wtvr solely to see our reactions when he said Malice were dead?
    And we were all laughing about it. Scape has a fairly undeserved reputation of being judgemental pricks with sticks up our asses.
    I think it's time to change that to yada yada gay bdsm btw. We're on the way there - better go buy more paintings, Hanachan.

    Anyway, I will second Sanctum's comment. Almost no one knows about Gackt in the USA, and those who do probably have varied opinions.
    Dunno about Latin America but can't imagine it's all that different outside of small circles.
    I don't particularly appreciate some of the stuff he says about women, personally. And of course, the sagimagai.
    But I don't HATE him, not as a person, and not for leaving Malice. When he's not doing one of his sex or high-schooler on womendiscussions, he's really entertaining.
    Furthermore, if he'd stayed, we would have never had Klaha, with whom I am equally happy.

    So you know, don't take a few people's opinions as representative of a country or region.
     
    MorganIvy likes this.
    #7
  8. sanctum -member- -member-

    sanctum
    Joined: 10 Mar 2005
    Posts: 1695
    Posted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 6:39 pm

    faith wrote:
    faith wrote:
    if you want to be anal about it, then it sounds like we're already there. ::gaku::
     
    MorganIvy likes this.
    #8
  9. flowersofnight -moderator- -moderator-

    flowersofnight
    Joined: 04 Aug 2004
    Posts: 13020
    Location: Vintage Live House, 1994
    Posted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 8:17 pm

    faith wrote:
    Well you know, the original Gackt scandal was when he claimed he left because only he loved the fans and all the other members were mustache-twirling moneygrubbers XD
    But at any rate it's silly to have some sort of gang war between Malice Mizer fans and Gackt fans 22 years after the fact ::teef::

    faith wrote:
    How about this one?
    http://www.arc-store.com/bougw52.html
     
    MorganIvy likes this.
    #9
  10. faith -tea party- -tea party-

    faith
    Joined: 05 Aug 2004
    Posts: 5227
    Posted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 9:45 pm

    Yeah that should about do it for scape mascot. Good job 7 out of 7.
     
    #10
  11. Bisento Miseru -member- -member-

    Bisento Miseru
    Joined: 19 Jul 2019
    Posts: 16
    Posted: Tue Nov 2, 2021 12:32 pm

    flowersofnight wrote:
    What is this video?
     
    #11
  12. kaiisis -member- -member-

    kaiisis
    Joined: 24 Dec 2020
    Posts: 21
    Posted: Tue Nov 2, 2021 11:41 pm

    He is more hated in Japan than in the USA lol
    America or Europe fans are the most friendly group to him.
     
    #12
  13. faith -tea party- -tea party-

    faith
    Joined: 05 Aug 2004
    Posts: 5227
    Posted: Wed Nov 3, 2021 10:33 am

    Oh? Do you have more info? I don't follow what people say about him at all.
    Would be really curious about what they think in East Asia.

    @bento miseru - here you go
     
    #13
  14. Hampo -member- -member-

    Hampo
    Joined: 11 Jan 2019
    Posts: 252
    Posted: Mon Nov 8, 2021 10:10 am

    I still love his early solo stuff when it was a bit like MM.

    I'm not sure if he's trying to dismiss his past like some of you say. I think he's surprisingly open that he used to be in Malice Mizer, though he never goes into much detail about it.
    I don't think there's anything that dramatic about him leaving MM either. Some manager or producer probably told him that he could be much bigger without MM and if he already had some tension with Mana, then why wouldn't he leave? I'm sure the other band members weren't too happy about it because it most likely affected their record label deals etc., but I haven't seen any of them being too keen on performing with Gackt either.

    Should be noted that none of the MM singers appeared on their anniversary concert, it wasn't just Gackt who was left out. Not only did that absolutely suck, but it makes you wonder if it's just Gackt who has a problem with the rest of the band.

    Gackt also seems to have good sense of humor and he was pretty entertaining when he appeared on telly.

    Him becoming a borderline criminal saddens me more than him being a self-parody, honestly.
     
    Cae and MorganIvy like this.
    #14
  15. MorganIvy -current- -current-

    MorganIvy
    Joined: 01 Mar 2005
    Posts: 1245
    Location: Lisbon, Portugal
    Posted: Tue Nov 9, 2021 8:55 am

    He's actually been talking about Malice quite a bit, even mentioned Mana by name for the first time ever (that we know of, obviously) a few months ago while telling a pretty funny story.

    Mind you, the whole "being a criminal " thing is really bullshit, and its what the anti-gackt kids mostly use as an argument against him.

    He was accused by a woman in a tabloid-type publication of sexual assault, which seems like the most serious part, but apparently there was no police investigation, no evidence and she tried to get money from him directly before going public, which lets be honest is a bit suspicious (i am mostly inclined to believe the victim in these sort of things but yeah...)

    And he had his finances investigated in relation to his former management company (or something?) and nothing was found against him so again, no evidence of anything wrong.

    "Borderline criminal" seems a bit farfetched to me tbh. Although I'm not saying he's a saint in any capacity, i dont think he's anywhere close to being a criminal.

    Regarding the Malice anniversary, according to Mana, both him and Tetsu had other commitments (and Klaha is still MIA). They were supposed to do a big show on the 20th anniversary, which he bailed out of after planning had started (and that was at the time of the IRS investigations i think?), but no other details are known and he never commented on that himself.

    Regarding other members performing with him, wasnt Közi supposed to do a live for his charity back in 2011, after the big earthquake? Or he was somewhat involved with something gackt was doing for a charity? It was something like that... and I seem to remember one of them posting on their blogs about meeting up (with a photo and everything) but that may have a been a few years before...

    Anyway, sorry for the big rant. This whole anti-gackt thing is mostly just kids who started liking Malice recently and like to remove gackt from group photos and block anyone who "defends him" on twitter ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
     
    Cae and voixdinferno like this.
    #15
  16. flowersofnight -moderator- -moderator-

    flowersofnight
    Joined: 04 Aug 2004
    Posts: 13020
    Location: Vintage Live House, 1994
    Posted: Tue Nov 9, 2021 12:06 pm

    MorganIvy wrote:
    I remember they met up, but I don't know if it was for any particular reason.

    MorganIvy wrote:
    That's amateur stuff, I like to remove him from his own photos ::gaku::
     
    MorganIvy and Cae like this.
    #16
  17. faith -tea party- -tea party-

    faith
    Joined: 05 Aug 2004
    Posts: 5227
    Posted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 1:48 am

    What about the crypto currency move? If it's not borderline illegal, then it seems at least dishonest. Depends on whether he was deceiving his fans, or trading based on insider info. To my knowledge, there was nothing discrediting that, and the whole thing was sketch af.
     
    #17
  18. flowersofnight -moderator- -moderator-

    flowersofnight
    Joined: 04 Aug 2004
    Posts: 13020
    Location: Vintage Live House, 1994
    Posted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 2:57 pm

    faith wrote:
    I AM NOT BROKE, it's coming BACK >:[
     
    MorganIvy likes this.
    #18
  19. MorganIvy -current- -current-

    MorganIvy
    Joined: 01 Mar 2005
    Posts: 1245
    Location: Lisbon, Portugal
    Posted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 5:42 am

    faith wrote:
    Supposedly he was just the face of the company? Not sure... but isnt crypto always shady anyway? Was he actually telling his fans to invest in it?

    Or what do you mean by borderline illegal? I cant remember him doing anything other than promote it to business men tbh
     
    #19
  20. flowersofnight -moderator- -moderator-

    flowersofnight
    Joined: 04 Aug 2004
    Posts: 13020
    Location: Vintage Live House, 1994
    Posted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:26 am

    MorganIvy wrote:
    They seemed to think you would be able to buy merchandise at his shows with Gacktcoin. Whether he explicitly said that or just let them think it, I don't know. But when he went around telling the world that this was the future, of course his fans were the ones who'd listen most.
    At any rate, the part that's illegal or near-illegal was dumping all his holdings and cashing out right before the coin lost 99+% of its value. I believe it was millions of dollars' worth of looting all told - though that presumably includes all the ringleaders, not just Gackt.
     
    #20